Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:35:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Making /var/mail mode 1777 (was Re: Installing sendmail SUID installworld suggestion)

Joel Hatton wrote:
 > When sendmail is set to SUID in /etc/make.conf with SENDMAIL_SET_USER_ID=y,
 > it would be very helpful if installworld could also rename (or, to be
 > consistent with /etc/mail/README, remove) /etc/mail/submit.cf. This is
 > pretty trivial, but I seem to burn myself every time I rebuild a particular
 > system with this option set by forgetting that submit.cf gets recreated
 > during the install.

On a related note ...  On several machines I need to be
able to have dot-locks for mail folders in /var/mail,
which is only possible if that directory is world-writable
(i.e. mode 1777).  I certainly don't want to make all MUAs
and other programs that access the directory setgid mail.
However, upon each upgrade, "make installworld" resets the
directory to mode 775.

What's the best way to prevent that?  I tried editing the
appropriate mtree file, but that feels like a hack rather
than a clean solution.

Comments?  How do others handle that situation?

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  I'm running RELENG_6.

Passwords are like underwear.  You don't share them,
you don't hang them on your monitor or under your keyboard,
you don't email them, or put them on a web site,
and you must change them very often.