Date:      Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:28:36 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/ttys, /var/run/utmp, ttyslot(3) and {get|put}utx* API

In message <Pine.NEB.3.96L.1011107074837.14344B-100000@fledge.watson.org>, Robe
rt Watson writes:

>> I guess the correct solution is to implement the Single Unix
>> "{get|put}utx" API backed by a db(3) file.
>>
>>     http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/endutxent.html
>>
>> Any comments ?
>
>"Yet another thread-unsafe API for managing databases"?

Interesting point, I didn't think of that.  On the other hand, I don't
see much point in multiple threads competing to fiddle this info
since they will all have the same session...

Anyhow, I'm mightily leaning towards the idea that /var/run/utmp
should die and be moved into the session in the kernel, apart from
all the obvious things, this would make some interesting information
available in kernel dumps.