Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:04:52 -0700
From:      Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
To:        romero3000@romero3000.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ramdisk??

--hNG1vEeyG8BCaHbQ

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:16:26PM -0400, romero3000@romero3000.com wrote:
> (sorry about cross-posting this question. not sure which list is better)
>
> I want to to know how to create a ram file system for /var and /tmp so
> that i can boot from flash memory and mount those two file systems on
> ramfs. I've looked for howto's online but haven't found anything. any
> suggestions????

On CURRENT:

man vnconfig
man vn

I mount a swap backed fs (which I what I suspect you want) with:

vnconfig -e -s labels -S ${vn_tmp_size} ${vn_tmp_device} && \
disklabel -r -w ${vn_tmp_device} auto && \
newfs /dev/${vn_tmp_device}c > /dev/null  && \
mount -o nosuid -o nodev /dev/${vn_tmp_device}c /tmp && \
chmod 1777 /tmp

N.B. I don't reserve the blocks on swap, which again is what I think you
want.

Good luck.

--hNG1vEeyG8BCaHbQ

--hNG1vEeyG8BCaHbQ--