Date:      Sun, 07 Jan 1996 10:15:30 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Add new slice to running system, comments?

> It looks like I want to add another ioctl to dsioctl(), which takes a new
> diskslice structure and adds it to the list for the given disk.

Well, this is not that easy actually, because the current slice code
really dislikes overlapping slices.

Have you tried mounting the msdos fs, and using the vn driver for
swapping on the windows file ?

> I need some answers to the following, which I haven't been able to
> resolve by ratting around in the kernel.
>
> - If I just add the slice, will I be able to swap on the block device for
>   it?  eg. for /dev/wd0 with no extended gumpf, we'd come in as /dev/wd0s5
>   (slice numbering in the structure itself is _weird).   Will I be able
>   to swap on this, or will I have to knock up a label for it?
No, that would work fine.
You could even newfs it :-)

Isn't there some static gunk in these files that we shouldn't write ?
I belive that if you mess with the administrative structures windows
will barf.

> - What partition type should I allocate to the slice?  I'd like to use
>   something unique, but I suspect that to swap on it I'll need to use
>   165.  Any comments?
Anything should be ok.

> - If I have to cons a label, which fields are necessary?  There's a lot of
>   cruft in there that's not even vaguely relevant, but I can't be sure of
>   all of it.
shouldn't be needed, though I may be wrong.

> - Is the OS/2 SWAPER.DAT file allocated contiguously? (I believe not).
>   If it is, I may add support for hunting it down (currently only files
>   in the root directory are supported).
No idea.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.