Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 15:34:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        MP <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: too many open files problem - semi corrected

On Sun, 17 May 1998, MP wrote:

> Just FYI for those on the list - and since I've seen TONS of questions on
> this issue in the mailing list archives - very few of which offer real
> solutions...
>
> I upgraded from bind 4.9.6 which comes with 2.2.6 by default, to 8.1.2, and
> upon installation and conversion of the named.boot => named.conf, my
> problem disappeared - named loads properly. (although there are bugs in the
> perl-based configuration program, especially if you use the "xfernet"
> directive).

Named8 is smarter about IP aliases.  The old BIND would open each
interface *and all of it's aliases* for reading, which was silly.  On
systems with lots of IP aliases it would run out of file descriptors.  The
new BIND8 (and older versions of bind4.9) would get it right and only open
the primary IP of an interface.  Bind4.9 had a directive to fix it I
think.

> Someone should put this issue in the F.A.Q. (!!)

It's in the BIND FAQ already, I think.