Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 15:08:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Michael Henry" <mhenry@white.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ??????????????????/

> ...latest stable release. I believe that's v3.0, but
> I heard v2.2.8 is coming out, so I'm confused right there.

I seem to recall from another mailing list that -stable would stay
in the 2.2 branch until first quarter next year. (End of the first
quarter? I don't know. Maybe someone else on the list knows better).

> The best option, IMHO, is to buy the cd. Now, there's a few ways to do
> this. You can buy the walnut creek's set, which has the cds and the
> Complete FreeBSD (supposedly a great book),

...and supports the FreeBSD project.

> or you can grab just the cds
> cheaply at cheapbits.com. There, its just a few dollars. I recomend
> having a book.. I'm trying without one, and its a pain.

The book is on the CD in plain text format (ie. unreadable :) ).
Look in the "book" directory on the first disk (for 2.2.6. It might
be another disk for other versions).

> I'm waiting for a
> new version of the Complete FreeBSD, since fbsd v3.0 is supposed to be a
> major change. There was a online-freebsd book being written, but I lost
> the url a while back.

"A Comprehensive Guide to FreeBSD"

http://www.vmunix.com/fbsd-book/