Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:29:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Pekka Savola <Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Selecting which programs to have in the base system

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Pekka Savola wrote:

> I posted this to freebsd-newbies (this seems like a newbie/faq question to
> me) a day or two ago but got no answer.  So let's try this list..
>
> How can I manipulate -easily- which base system files (in e.g. /bin,
> /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin) will be installed/compiled when I cvsup the
> sources and make world ?

You don't, because if you muddle with what binaries are installed you'll
shoot yourself in the foot in a matter of minutes.

> The problem is, according to /var/log/setuid.today, I have ~70 files (some
> of them just symbolic links though) which are setuid root (95% of them from
> base system).  Talk about security! I'd like to remove the ones I don't
> need and never hear of them again (like ppp*, r*, yp*).  Also, having stuff
> like this along just takes some HDD space too.   I couldn't care less of
> having e.g. some games in my system.

Develop a patchset that removes them from the appropriate Makefiles.
Myself, just delete those security messages after glancing at the top of
them to make sure noone's added themselves to the password file when I
wasn't looking.

You could disable the suid binary check but that has its problems.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org