Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 11:15:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: receiving mail directly

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Dan Langille wrote:
> I have a permanent connection to my ISP via ADSL.  At present, all mail
> for my domains is delivered direct to my ISP.  I then download it with an
> email client.  One problem I have with my email is spam to old addresses
> which I no longer use but are part of my domain (eg. xyz@mydomain.com).
>
> I have two domains.  The mail for one (dvl.co.nz) gets sent to one of my
> ISPs.  My other domain (dvl-software.com) is a virtual domain handled by
> my web site host.  Mail sent to that domain is controlled by a .redirect
> file on my virtual machine at that host (I don't fully understand how it
> works; I just know how to add entries to the .redirect file to forward
> mail from spot to spot).

If you run the DNS for both domains change the MX records to point
to your DSL connected machine.  If you don't control it ask the
ISPs who do to make the change for you.

By default sendmail will bounce mail if there is no user with
that id, IOW if you don't have a user dan then mail to dan will
be bounced.

> solution seems to apply to me.  That is, make my ISP a secondary server to
> myself.

Since you have a permanent connection you don't need to go to this
trouble.  The mail will come in on its own once you make yourself
primary MX.  you can make the ISP secondary if you want but it is
not necessary.

> Sendmail is up and running on my machine.  Mail sent to my freebsd box
> gets out into the realworld.  I'm guessing that what I need to do is
> install procmail, which is a local mail delivery agent.  Is that correct?

Installing procmail is a good idea, but not for this problem.  It
will give you more control over local delivery than you've yet dreamed
of. :)

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com