Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 19:54:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      eps@sirius.com (Eric P. Scott)
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NO_TCSH issue

>How is it not?  (with regards to scripts)

I use sh for nearly all "serious" shell scripts; I only do the
most trivial things as csh scripts, so I doubt I would notice
any subtle incompatibilities.

csh is my interactive shell of choice, and tcsh is just different
enough to cause serious transition shock.  What's wrong with
small, simple, and functional?  Why do I need 609K of feature
bloat when a 279K executable does everything I want?  Consider
also that we're talking about the default shell for root here;
the most conservative choice minimizes the possibility of
unpleasant surprises.  If I'm called in to perform disaster
recovery on someone else's server--or worse, asked to perform
telephone support--the last thing I want to trip over is some
junior sysadmin wannabe's customized .tcshrc that screws up
everything even more.

What individuals choose as defaults for their personal accounts
is their business.  I don't see a problem with having sh, ksh,
zsh, bash, csh, tcsh, _whatever_ available.  But I stand by my
opinion that replacing csh with tcsh in 4.1-RELEASE was the
single most ill-conceived action taken by the committers.

I expect to continue recommending 3.5.1-RELEASE for all new
installations where it's hardware-compatible.  (Why, oh why,
wasn't Adaptec 29160 support back-ported?)

					-=EPS=-