Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:25:42 -0500
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "ktb" <x.y.f@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: accessing remote X server

}-----Original Message-----
}From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of ktb
}Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 2:11 PM
}To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}Subject: accessing remote X server
}
}	I've taken a look at the xterminal howto.  It is a little more
}	involved than I really want to get into.  I have just
}installed
}	4.2 on an old 486 and would like to use it to access
}an X server
}	running on a debian machine I have.
}
}	1. Is there anyway I can just telnet or ssh into the
}debian box
}	and run X applications on the freebsd box, using the debian
}	box's server?
}

You bet. http://www.defcon1.org/x11ssh.html

}	2. Can I do this without running an X server on the
}freebsd box?

No. You'll need a GUI desktop on your local machine before trying to
run x11 apps from a remote machine on there. Makes enough sense to me
anyway. Good luck.
-Otter

}
}	This is my first attempt at freebsd.  I've searched the list
}	archive but didn't come up with an answer.  I've
}looked through
}	some linux docs and freebsd docs.  Any help would be
}appreciated.
}	Thanks,
}	kent
}
}--
}  "In order to make an apple pie from scratch,
}      you must first create the universe."
}                 - Carl Sagan
}
}
}To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
}with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
}