Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 16:29:38 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Carloss2@ix.netcom.com (Carlos)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can't make FreeBSD 2.1 work

Carlos stands accused of saying:
> I did the installation about 15 or 20 times, from minimum to ALL, and it
> starts out fine (except for messages saying "my name does not seem to
> exist) and so forth and so on.

This is because you didn't set the hostname when configuring the system.

> X under windows is the one that crashes the most. For example while
> running a screensaver, the machine woiuld freeze and not respond to any
> commands; as a consequence of that the only way to get my machine back is

This is almost certainly a hardware problem of some sort.  Without intimate
knowledge of your hardware, it's impossible to suggest what might be wrong.

It sounds like you're basically just working on the learning cycle, but
being hampered by a hardware problem; I'd persevere and keep working on
finding what's wrong with your hardware.  (A good start is winding all the
BIOS settings back to the most conservative values)