Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:00:57 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        John Indra <john@office.naver.co.id>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is ssh-agent and ssh-add?

--OwLcNYc0lM97+oe1

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 09:31:55AM +0700, John Indra wrote:
> Hello folks...
>=20
> The subject says it all. Can anyobody tell me the function of that 2
> programs?
> I have read OpenSSH manpages, but I can't seem to find examples of those 2
> programs usage.

They let you cache your SSH credentials locally and forward them on to
other systems you connect to, so you don't have to type your
passphrase more than once.

Be careful when using agent forwarding to connect to an untrusted
system, as you are essentially handing over a decrypted copy of your
RSA key to the remote system, and it can use it to impersonate you on
other systems where that key has access.

Kris

--OwLcNYc0lM97+oe1

--OwLcNYc0lM97+oe1--