Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:16:47 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp login failing after upgrade to 8.1

--------------enig481A8C9D9A5CA3AC7D7B3D48

On 10/08/2010 22:01:40, Chris Maness wrote:
> I just upgraded to FreeBSD 8.1 and my regular user name seems to be
> disallowed for ftp.  I checked and my name or group does not seem to
> show up in ftpusers.  Any suggestions as to what might have happened?

/etc/ftpusers is actually the list of accounts that should be *denied*
access via FTP.  You don't want your UID in there if you want to use FTP.=

Make sure the login shell for your account is mentioned in /etc/shells.

Failing that, curse FTP as an archaic and inherently insecure protocol
completely unsuitable for today's internet, and switch to using sftp(8)
instead -- which has the look and feel of FTP, but which runs tunnelled
over SSH.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20