Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 22:16:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      laszlo vagner <vetex@WWW.TIMANDPATRICK.COM>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bart Trzynadlowski <trzy@powernet.net>, Ulairi <ulairi@jps.net>
Subject:   Re: odd minor problems

As for the vi thing at the end of this message
if he is anything like i am he didnt know
how to exit vi and just control c'ed it
and that is why he got the vi.recover file
in the first place so telling him to
do the vi -r .cshrc thing would just probably
make another vi.recover file unless he knows how to
get out of vi this time.

kind of like a paradox ...

On 29-May-99 Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Ulairi wrote:
>
>> |    Sorry for the constant barrage of stupid questions, but
>> | I'm finally
>> | starting to get into this stuff although I am still a total newbie
>> :)
>> | Thanks for the support so far! It really helps!
>> |
>> | When I use whereis to find a file this always happens:
>> |
>> | /whereis of
>> | Warning: couldn't stat file /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502/man!
>> | of:
>> |
>> | This happens as root or as a user, what does it mean?
>>
>> Means the file /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502/man that the CATMAN tries
>> to access is no there. Need to find what says it's supposed to be
>> there and change it :)
>
> Check /etc/manpath.config; the system default Perl is now 5.00503, I
> beleive. Just change that 5.00502 to 5.00503, see if that helps.
>
>> | /home/btrzynadlowski%su
>> | su: you are not in the correct group to su root
>> |
>> | What is the "correct group" then?
>> from "man su":
>>  Only users who are a member of group 0 (normally ``wheel'') can su to
>>      ``root''.  If group 0 is missing or empty, any user can su to
>> ``root''.
>
> And if the original user doesn't know, to add yourself to group `wheel'
> just edit /etc/group and add your username to the end of the `wheel' line.
>
>> | And it always says I have new mail. When I go into mail I find 17
>> | messages from various dates and times and they're subject and bodies
>> | are the same.  Here is the subject:
>> |
>> | Nvi saved file .cshrc
>> |
>> | The system places all of these in my mailbox, but why?
>>
>> because you're root do "rm /var/mail/root" and you cleaned out your :)
>> mail box                                                            :)
>
> Yes, but if he wants to stop getting those messages he'll have to clean
> out /var/tmp/vi.recover, or just do "vi -r .cshrc" to recover the file.
> After that, the messages should stop coming.
>
> hmm.. most of this was directed at Bart... guess I picked the wrong
> message to reply to.
>
> --
> Ben Smithurst
> ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

----------------------------------
Vetex
C/O L. Vagner
3600 W. Mountain Drive
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Webpage: nadxa.com
E-Mail: laszlo vagner <vetex@vetex.com>
Date: 28-May-99
Time: 22:14:03

Windows Exception Error:  noun: Meaning-
With the exception of a reboot anything
you do will fail to recover the system.