Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:15:41 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot order with firewire 4.8-RELEASE

--i0/AhcQY5QxfSsSZ

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 04:40:24PM -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:

> Be that as it may, when I booted the new kernel with an external firewire
> disk turned on, the new kernel detected the firewire disk before it did t=
he
> SCSI on the adaptec controller, and naturally couldn't find a working
> system on it.  The system would boot with the firewire drive off allowing
> me to determine that I had screwed up the build.
>=20
> My basic question is how does one control the order devices are scanned
> during the boot process?  I would like to be sure that the system will co=
me
> up after a power failure with no operator intervention if possible.

It's not really the order that the disks are discovered which matters
as such, but that the device numbers for your system disks depend on
the presence or absence of the external drive.

You can get round that by 'wiring down' the SCSI buses and devices in
your kernel config.  Eg. assume that your boot drive is at LUN 0 on an
Adaptec SCSI interface.  Then you could do:

    device     scbus0 at ahc0
    device     da0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0

to ensure your boot disk always appears as da0. See the section 'SCSI
DEVICE CONFIGURATION' in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT for more details.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way