Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:07:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Archive pruning

On 27-Apr-00 Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, you wrote:
>
>> *Bzzzt*.  Wrong.  You only get the old history during the intial cvsup.
>> And since the most recent revisions are stored at the beginning of an RCS
>> file, you don't pay for this on cvs operations except for 'cvs log' and
>> other operations dealing with the history.  Good grief, at least get your
>> facts straight before blathering on.
>
> I suggest that YOU get your facts straight.
>
> 1) Only the head changes are written at the top of the file. For other
> branches, cvs has to track down to the branch point and then back out the
> branch. At each step, it must apply the "patch" that represents the
> difference in the two versions.

And since these will need to be kept for the branches to be useful, this
is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

> 2) I have seen routines that append to the end of a file. However, if I
> insert at the front, I must copy the entire file.

Yes, I suppose your nightly cvsup might take an extra 1 s longer to
complete, but I can't really tell since I'm usually sleeping through it.
Seriously, do you sit there during the day with a stopwatch and time how
long each cvsup takes every five minutes?  Besides, this only comes in to
play during cvsup, not during any cvs operations since users aren't
committing changes.

Anyways, one thing that Alfred Perlstein said he might like would be to
have another cvsup server that a lite version of the repo could be cvsup'ed
from.  If, as you say, this can all be truly automated, then setup a cvsup
server that cvsups every so often, and automatically expires old history
and then serves up the new repo via cvsup.  Even if you just generate a
proof of concept and don't have the resources to provide the mirror, someone
might be interested in running a mirror with your patches.