Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 15:36:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        tims@achilles.k12.ar.us (Timothy Stoddard)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PNP

> When will FreeBSD address the PNP cards that are on the market.  I have
> a SMC ethernet card that I cannot use with FreeBSD simply because it is
> PNP.

Ask Nate Williams.

I believe the code is in -current (which would be "next release", if
I'm right).

PNP cards don't do squat unless you are running a PNP BIOS as well,
since it's the BIOS that resolves the conflicts against on the
motherboard devices.  Does you box have a PNP BIOS, or do we need
to be able to guess what's jumpered where, as well, and do the
relocation that a PNP bios would have done without our intervention?

The main thing a PNP BIOS does is locate cards where there are holes
which depends on your POST order, and can vary from boot to boot.  A
PNP-BIOS aware OS will look for where the cards are by asking them
using the PNP interface.

For a motherboard without a PNP BIOS, the OS has to play BIOS for you
and relocate things to non-conflicting locations -- impossible if you
have any non-PNP cards in the machine.

FreeBSD in "PNP-BIOS-aware mode" will use prerelocated cards, but will
not, itself, relocate cards (or wouldn't, lat time I saw it -- it
refuses to play BIOS for you).

Many Micron systems (specifically) locate PNP boards to conflict
with the PS/2 mouse port, so even a PNP motherboard can't make things
safe.  Basically if you use ISA cards, you are potentially screwed.

The typical way to handle this (even under Windows95 on a Micron) is
to let the PNP BIOS make a "best guess", record the info, turn off
the PNP to lock the cards in the best guess location, resolve an
conflicts, and then tell the Windows95 "My Computer" "Properties"
sheet about anything you had to move (like the Adaptec 2940 that was
stomping on IRQ 12 and making the PS/2 mouse fail).

Then, you boot BSD and tell it where everything got locked down to
(or you boot the PNP BSD, and if your system has a working PNP BIOS,
BSD asks the cards where they live).

For BSD up to 2.1, you will need to tell it; it won't ask.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.