Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 18:35:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@onyx.interactive.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@onyx.interactive.net>
Subject:   Serial Mouse in 2.2.2 Dead in the Water

Hi, FreeBSDers:

I have still not solved my mouse problems. Please help! I am getting quite
frustrated.

Mouse does not do anything. The cursor sits unmoving in X sessions.

This is my equipment: Serial mouse (I have two mice; have tried both) at
sio1/cuaa1/COM2, Mouse Systems (switchable to Microsoft, but set to Mouse
Systems and working as such in the same box in Linux and DOS/Win3.1--_and_ it
had worked fine as such in FreeBSD 2.1.5--no change in hardware!).

Here are my settings:

   /etc/rc.conf

      mousedtype="mousesystems"
      mousedport="/dev/cuaa1"
      mousedflags="-DR"

[I have also tried /dev/ttyd1 as mousedport, as per Greg Lehey's book]

   /etc/XF86Config

      Section "Pointer"
         Protocol        "MouseSystems"
         Device          "/dev/sysmouse"

I have also tried switching the mouse to Microsoft and changing the
/etc/rc.conf and /etc/XF86Config files accordingly, to no advantage. My
cursor does not move, either in ttyv0-ttyv2 after "vidcontrol -m on" or in
X. I have also tried getting rid of moused by setting /etc/rc.conf as

      mousedtype="NO"
      mousedport=""
      mousedflags=""

and /etc/XF86Config as

      Section Pointer
         Protocol        "MouseSystems"
         Device          "/dev/cuaa1"

or

         Device          "/dev/ttyd1"

also to no avail, getting no cursor movement in X at all.

Is there another file(s) somewhere that must be modified? I haven't seen
it mentioned anywhere. Can anyone help me on this one? I have looked in
man pages, FAQ, and mail and documentation archives at www.freebsd.org for
this, and have found nothing.

By the way, my screen saver does not come up (the "daemon") either. Might
I have something awry in X settings, and these both be symptoms?

Thanks, all,

Chris Booth
--

Chris Booth