Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:52:21 -0600
From:      "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD versus Linux

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 09:54:54AM +0100, Julien Pham wrote:
> I am currently a windows user. I will surely keep windows for games, as
> there are only a few games on the unix community. But I want to get rid of
> windows for work, and use a unix kind of OS instead. So I wonder whether to
> try FreeBSD or Linux.

Either will do. However, if you are going to set up a heavily used
server for your work then I would recommend FreeBSD. If you just want a
desktop workstation, then I would probably suggest Linux. Really though,
either will do.

> First, what are the differences between the two OS ? Someone told me FreeBSD
> is real Unix, and Linux has nothing to do with Unix. But what does this
> means ? About compatibility for example ? I have thought that unix software
> can run under linux.

The differences are trivial from a user's perspective. Most commands
work in a similar manner, indeed many are the same commands. Most Linux
software will run on FreeBSD, and both can be networked together quite
well. Most UNIX software probably will run under Linux if source is
available. You might need to compile it.

> Can I find all kind of apps I can find on linux, on FreeBSD ? Such as office
> tools (such as staroffice), network and internet tools, and games ?

Yes.

> Last question : what is the best way to install FreeBSD ? FTP or a CD ? I
> have a DSL connection and so I have a free connection to internet. But to be
> able to access FTP site I must first configure my internet access. I had
> this pb when I tried debian linux : I have installed the base OS with disks
> but then I was unable to configure my internet connection : I have not the
> tools needed. And what about FreeBSD ? I am in France and as DSL connection
> I have ADSL with PPPoE or PPTP.

I don't know about that one. I'm sure someone else on the list can help
though.

--
Victor R. Cardona
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 62B1 7995 A830 432C 74E8  1337 EDDB E682 3C76 7404