Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:39:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
To:        andy@kksonline.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru
Subject:   Re: ARP and AX.25 (help needed)

>  I am working on implementation of AX.25 protocol. My code also needs ARP
>  and I was wondering if there is a way to use existing ARP code, or do I
>  need to duplicate code and use my arp structure instead original one? I
>  need arp to resolve HAM addresses to IP addresses. HAM address has seven
>  u_chars (6 for callsign one one for SSID). Now if anyone has any idea how
>  could I solve this without duplicating same code, I would be very thankful.

the arp code has been modified for ARCNET (which uses 1 byte of link level
addressing) by fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru from the ARCNET code in NetBSD. In this
version they changed the passed parameter in the kernel stack "arpcom"
pointer to the ifnet pointer, and reference from the fixed ethernet
LLA of 6 octect is changed to "if_addrlen". A new "arpcom" like structure
is needed for the AX.25. There are some changes to ifconfig(8) if you
plan to soft set the LLA.

I made some changes to the above mentioned ARP changes to be more
ethernet-like, in that the link level address is stored in both
the "arccom" as well as the ifnet structure to make getting the
value easier and making the soft-changing of the link level address
compatiable with ethernet.

To answer your question, the foot work has been done for you.

--mark tinguely.