Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 2004 12:51:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.10 Opteron Support?

I've been warned about FreeBSD on Opteron by one of our systems
vendors and was wondering if the hardware gurus on this list
concurred.  I'm skeptical because the vendor (terrasolutions.com)
sells only a small number of Xeon systems.

> Opteron is certainly something to watch in the future, but it is still
>a very green platform in FreeBSD (and Windows and Linux...) and not quite
>ready for primetime.

It was my impression that FreeBSD on Opteron's i386 mode was rock solid.

>There is currently no hardware RAID support for
>Opteron in FreeBSD, although at least AMCC/3Ware is planning to offer it
>at some point in the near future.

Which seems odd because antoher vendor recommended Tyan motherboards
with integrated LSI or Adaptec SCSI RAID
<http://www.tyan.com/products/html/opteron.html>.  Perhaps the
vendor meant SATA RAID though that wasn't in the spec.

Should I expect problems installing 4.10 on one of these Tyans with
SCSI RAID?

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting