Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:35:48 -0500
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@softhome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, andy@CRWdog.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: crashes on 4.5-RELEASE

--==_Exmh_820129760P

> FYI, this machine is an HP Omnibook 6000.  It has the "xl" ethernet
> built in and this is the interface I'm using.

I've had one of these for over a year, and I use the network & NFS fairly
heavily.

It's very stable for me (only remaining niggles on this platform for me were
sound and xl0 post-resume - but these were completely addressed for me by a
couple of commits just pre-4.5-RELEASE).

> I do have soft updates turned on on the single / filesystem on this
> box.  Should I turn them off?

They don't cause me any problems (in fact quite the opposite, I think), I've
been running them for quite some time. Never caused a single funny for me..

> I would be happy to supply my kernel config file to anyone interested.

I'd be happy to provide you with mine, this might be quicker :)

> P.S. I also have the problem with these Omnibooks that if you tell them
> to "reboot" (or "halt" followed by pressing any key to reboot), they
> hang in a weird kind of half power on state.  The display goes black
> (the backlight turns off), but if you shine a flashlight on the LCD,
> you can still see text there.  The Power light on the front does not
> turn off, and the machine still generates plenty of heat, but the cpu
> cooling fan will not turn itself on.  Any suggestions for that?

Ahh yes, everything in this area used to work fine (including 'shutdown -p'),
but broke after Warner made the PCI-routing changes for PCCARD.

He can reproduce it with his hardware, and it's not a real big thing anyway
(plus he's doing some good work *waves*, don't wanna distract him with
trifles)..

Just 'halt' the machine, and use the little power key in the top-left corner
when it says to "Press Any Key". It'll startup clean.

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_820129760P

--==_Exmh_820129760P--