Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:26:47 +0100
From:      Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: System hang on shutdown when running freebsd-update

On 15 Oct 2014, at 18:23, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> =
wrote:
> On 14 Oct 2014, at 18:09, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I thought that this was just a fluke, but it has now happened three =
times,
> > so I guess it's now out of the "fluke" class.
> >
> > I have upgraded several times recently to each 10.1 BETA and RC. =
After the
> > first install pass t install the kernel and modules, the system =
shutdown
> > freezes at the very end. I see the buffers synced to the disks and =
get the
> > "All buffers synced" message. Then it just hangs. The disks are not =
marked
> > as clean and are fscked after a reset and boot.
> >
> > There is not much between the "All buffers synced" message and the =
call to
> > vfs_unmountall(), so I suspect it is hanging in that call. I admit =
that I
> > am pretty much lost whenever I look at the VFS code and I have not =
put a
> > lot of effort going further. Just hoping that someone familiar with =
it
> > might have an idea.
> >
> > I have tried several reboots and all run normally. The problem only =
seems
> > to appear when upgrading the OS. It happened repeatedly when I tried =
> > reboot before doing the second "install" pass of freebsd-update, but =
not
> > after, so the kernel and world are not in sync. I am baffled as to =
what
> > could be going on, but it means I need to be at the system (a baby =
server)
> > when I upgrade, but not every time I upgrade. I know it happened on =
the
> > 10.0-RELEAASE to 10.1-BETA1 and 10.1-RC1 to 10.1-RC2 upgrades.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this?
>=20
> I=92m seeing the same behaviour, most recently when moving to 10.1-RC1 =
(haven=92t gone to -RC2 yet). The system is:
>=20
> FreeBSD 10.1-RC1 #0 r272463: Fri Oct  3 01:47:10 UTC 2014
> root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
> FreeBSD clang version 3.4.1 (tags/RELEASE_34/dot1-final 208032) =
20140512
> CPU: AMD Opteron(TM) Processor 6274                  (2200.05-MHz =
K8-class CPU)
> Origin =3D "AuthenticAMD"  Id =3D 0x600f12  Family =3D 0x15  Model =3D =
0x1  Stepping =3D 2
> =
Features=3D0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE=
,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
> =
Features2=3D0x1e98220b<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,MON,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,=
AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX>
> AMD Features=3D0x2e500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
> AMD =
Features2=3D0x1c9bfff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW=
,IBS,XOP,SKINIT,WDT,LWP,FMA4,NodeId,Topology,PCXC,PNXC>
> TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
> real memory  =3D 549755813888 (524288 MB)
> avail memory =3D 534559084544 (509795 MB)
> Event timer "LAPIC" quality 400
> ACPI APIC Table: <041112 APIC1739>
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 64 CPUs
> FreeBSD/SMP: 4 package(s) x 16 core(s)
> =85
>=20
> I do have IPMI loaded, unlike the other reports.
>=20
> --
> Colin Perkins
> https://csperkins.org/
>=20
> Paul Koch replied privately with a pointer to a seemingly unrelated =
message he sent to stable last month. Take a look at the several =
paragraphs at the end starting with "On a side note". I'm suspicious =
that the generation of the large upgrade on /var during the "upgrade" =
pass is causing the delay. It fits pretty well and, in normal operation, =
my server would never see this issue at all.
>=20
> =
https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D326083+0+/usr/local/www/db=
/text/2014/freebsd-stable/20140907.freebsd-stable
>=20
> Aside from fsyncing the files, I suspect just running "upgrade" =
waiting for a long time before doing reboot might prevent it from =
happening. I is likely relevant that the single partition on the system =
is a 500GB SU+J UFS.

The update to -RC2 worked without problem on my system. I did, however, =
wait until vmstat showed the disks being idle after running =
freebsd-update (this only took a few minutes).

That said, when updating to -RC1 previously I left the box to sit for =
maybe an hour at the =93All buffers synced=94 stage before giving up and =
resetting it, so if it was just waiting for the disks to sync, it was =
taking a very long time to do so.=20

> I need to research a bit on how freebsd does things as well as =
possible interaction with the large SU+J partition. I was already =
uncomfortable about the SU+J but went with it due to the time it would =
otherwise take to fsck the 500GB disk.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> rkoberman@gmail.com

--=20
Colin Perkins
https://csperkins.org/