Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 19:15:43 -0600
From:      Dave Littell <dlittell@onramp.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Token Ring for FreeBSD yet?

Dave Marquardt wrote:

[deletia]

> I work for IBM, so I can speak to this a little.  IBM has all of these
> large corporate customers (including IBM itself) that have a big
> investment in Token Ring.  If they can keep these people happy by
> creating 100 Mb/sec. token ring on the same wiring, they'll make some
> money.  That's what's driving IBM.

Ah, but there's the key - it's only the physical wiring that stays the
same.  You'll have to swap out all the adapters *and* all the driver
software on all the systems involved *and* almost certainly all the
MAU's.  So, if you're going that far already, why not just put use FDDI
over the same STP that's already there and get away from all those
boneheaded Token Ring quirks?

Even after all these years, IBM apparently still has that "Not Invented
Here" attitude.

Dave