Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:48:46 -0700
From:      "Paul Fu, Jr." <quark@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with installation

Hi folks -

I hope this is the correct forum for these newbie questions. I'm
trying to install FreeBSD 4.0 from CD. I can boot from the install CD
without difficulty. I can get into the "Start kernel configuration in
full-screen visual mode" without difficulty. This is where I'm
starting to run into problems.

I get 8 conflicts, 7 of which are in the networking section. I have a
Netgear FA311 10/100 NIC and this is not one of the selections that
are listed.  If I delete all of the NIC configurations and then
continue, I go into the device probing section where it promptly
freezes after displaying:

pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x100b, dev=0x0020) at 10.0 irq 10
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x125d, dev=0x1988) at 11.0 irq 12

I've tried to pick one of the network cards that are listed and hard
configure the IRQ and port, but get the same problem. IRQ 10 is the
NIC. IRQ 12, strangely enough, looks like my mouse (plugged into
serial port).

I would appreciate any suggestions. I'm quite frustrated.

Thanks.

Paul