Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 08:36:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        Freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Design & Implementation of 4.4BSD

Hi,

I'm working my way thru the recently released book entitled
"The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System",
and have come across some algorithm code samples on pages 199 & 203:

disksort(dq, bp)
    drive queue *dq;
    buffer *bp;
{
    if (drive queue is empty) {
        place the buffer at the front of the drive queue;
        return;
    }
    if (request lies before the first active request) {
        locate the beginning of the second request list;
        sort bp into the second request list;
    } else
        sort bp into the current request list;
}

I'm familiar with the basics of c/c++, perl, shell scripts, but this
use of "the", "of", "into", "at" is something I've yet to see. It
seems a little too human readable to be real code.

What language is this?  Are there other examples of this type of
programming in the FreeBSD source code?

Thanks,

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com