Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 13:56:39 +0930
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        me@carrollkong.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3Ware Error Messages

On Thursday, May 16, 2002, at 11:43 AM, Carroll Kong wrote:

> 	Oh geez, I feel silly responding to myself, but, I found the message earlier up from the dmesg output.
>
> twe0: AEN: <twe0: incomplete unit for unknown unit 1>
> twe0: AEN: <twe0: degraded mirror for unknown unit 1>
>
> 	Now the issue, is this ordinal or cardinal?  (starting from 0 or starting from 1?)  Basically does unit 1 mean the 1st one, or the 2nd one?  Looking at the driver code it seems like it means the "2nd" one, but
> hey better safe than sorry.

The above looks like a bug decoding the errors.  "unknown unit 1" means that the driver doesn't think you have a unit 1; I think I'm off-by-one and that's actually twed0.

"incomplete unit" means that the controller thinks that a physical dive is actually missing; you want to check the output when you boot the machine verbose and make sure that the list of drives matches up with what should be in the machine.  Most likely bad cabling though.

  = Mike