Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 12:09:29 +0000
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID performance problems - solution

[for those people wo were intereested.... not really related to -STABLE other
than I have satisfied myself that this isnt anything to do with it!]

For those who missed the original posting I was puzzling hard
over the fact that a RAID-5 array of 7200 rpm discs semeed to perform exactly
the same as a RAID-1 array of 10000 discs under bonnie. I was concerned that
this was a BSD driver bottleneck.

The reasoning was that a RAID-1 write is two writes, and if you have a decent
controller optimising yur RAID-5 writes then they come doown to 2 writes (data
and parity). So the array with faster drives should have faster performance.
Upon more careful thought, however, this isnt true. A RAID-5 write can only
be optimised to writes-only if you are writing a block big enough that
you do not need to read in the parity. Now, I have five drives in that
array. So let us consider writing 5 sectors worth of data out. Under the
RAID-5 that will reduce to 5 writes, but on the RAID-1 where everything is
mirrored it becomes 8 writes.

So worst case (sequential wrtes) the RAID-5 should be *faster* to write to by
a factor of 5/8. But the drives on the RAID-1 are faster than those on the
RAID-5. The 10k drives have a seek of 4.5 with a latency of 3 whilst the 7200s
have a seek of 6.8 with a latency of 4.2 (manufacturers data). So the RAID-1
drives are faster than the RAID-5's by a factor of 11.0/7.5.

Do the sums and it turns out that the RAID-5 with theorieticaly be about 9%
faster than the RAID-1. But we were talking about worst case in that
calculation and I can easily believe that optimisation by the RAID
controller (parallelising writes to the drives for example) can reduce that
down by parallelising the writes. Which could easily make it vanish to
the point where the write speed seems the same.

That solves the mystery as far as I am concerned - and (as usual) teaches
the lesson about thinking very hard about exactly what benckmarks are
measuring - even when just using them to make relative measurements.

-pcf. [ someones about to knock holes in all my maths arent they ? :-) ]