Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:05:49 -0500
From:      "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade problems from 4.4-RELEASE to 4.4 STABLE

Hi all -

I apologize if this question is rudimentary or stupid, as I just installed
FreeBSD 4.4 for the first time this weekend. I have experience on it as a
user, but limited admin knowledge - my brother graciously helped with the
setup.

Before we make the machine live (It's acting as a firewall and it's
IPFILTER rules are pretty strict at the moment) I want to move from
4.4-RELEASE to 4.4-STABLE.

So naturally, I typed:

# cvsup /etc/stable-supfile

The CVS Update took a while, but completed successfully.

Next, I typed:

/src # make buildworld KERNCONF=FIREWALL

The first time this happened, I got an error so I redid the cvsup and that
time buildworld worked with no errors.

Finally, I did:

/src # make installworld KERNCONF=FIREWALL

The first few times this failed until I edited /etc/rc.conf and changed the
kern_securelevel parameter back to -1.

It worked without errors. I rebooted - successfully.

However, when I do a uname -a, it still says 4.4-RELEASE and had my
brother's username and the date and time we first installed the kernel.
Same thing with dmesg.

Any ideas on what I need to do to make sure the cvsup was successful?

Thanks in advance.

--
B.K. DeLong
bkdelong@pobox.com