Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:08:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rory Imua Lampert <rory@wwa.com>
To:        "Swanson, Toby J." <tjswanson@tva.gov>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: iomega tape drives

Hello, I've set up my IOMega 3200 tape drive..sort of..by adding this
line to the kernel config:

tape            ft0     at fdc0 drive 2

	Now, on boot it recognizes the drive fine, but unfortunately there
is no support for QIC-3020 tape formats in the driver, or TR-3 (which is
what the format of my only tape is).

	If you look at /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/ft.c, you will find a table
of tape geometries.  It is under my impression that it is just a matter of
adding the geometry for QIC-3020 and TR-3 tapes to this table to get a
funtioning driver.  I have sent e-mail to several newsgroups,
mailing-lists and manufacturers asking if anyone has these parameters, to
no avail.  Also I downloaded Linux's ftape program and scoured the source
for tape parameters to QIC 3020, but didn't find anything useful.

	Unfortunateley no one has updated the table for 2.2.1, or
probably 3.0 for that matter.  If you or anyone can find out the
parameters to these tape formats, let me know, I would like to be able to
back up my machine sometime.  Or perhaps the information is easily found
but I didn't use my calculator correctly. :>

-Rory Imua Lampert
rory@wwa.com