Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:24:33 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Jamie Heckford" <jamie@jamiesdomain.org.uk>
Cc:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling a New Kernel

> From: "Jamie Heckford" <jamie@jamiesdomain.org.uk>
> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:11:30 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Bizarre.... how could it be different/not work if you have cvsup'd all of your sources including sys/ tree at exactly the same time,
> and compile your kernel just after the installworld?
>
> There has to be something im missing here, feel free to humiliate me with an in depth explanation ;)

Jamie,

Please do not top post!

When you build a new world (make buildworld), none of the new tools
that have been built are installed. So any kernel built with this
system will attempt to use the existing tools.

If something critical to building the kernel, say the .mk files or
compiler, have been updated and the kernel Makefile has been modified
to work with the new .mk files, any attempt to build the kernel with
existing, installed tools is doomed to failure.

The magic of make in /usr/src is that make will modify its environment
to use the new, uninstalled tools and .mk files. So changes in the
tools used to build the kernel can break the "old" style of kernel
build, but the "make kernel" method will always work.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)