Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:29:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        lutz@muc.de (Lutz Albers)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, sebesty@cs.elte.hu
Subject:   Re: XDM again

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Lutz Albers had
to walk into mine and say: >

> Zoltan Sebestyen wrote on 17.09.1997
>   XDM again
>

> >Hi,
> >
> > I've just found out that I'm totally wrong. I wrote my previous letter
> >about XDM, because I'm porting KDE's xdm replacement and the linker
> >complained that it can't resolve '_getnetname'. I thought it's a Linux
> >hack, but it isn't, the original xdm also uses this function. Does anyone
> >know in which library is this function? (On Linux, it's in libc, but no
> >header contains its definition!)
>
> Maybe you're looking for something like:
>    getnetent, getnetbyaddr, getnetbyname, setnetent, endnetent
>    - get network entry

Bzzzzt! I'm sorry that's incorrect, but that's for playing.

getnetname() is a Secure RPC function. Only FreeBSD-current has
Secure RPC support. (Adding it required fairly big changes, which
is why it's not in 2.2.5.) If you have a FreeBSD-current system,
getnetname() is prototyped in /usr/include/rpc/auth.h.

XDM can use Secure RPC for authentication but this fearture is normally
disabled in the stock X11 distribution as it entails the use of
some DES encryption routines.

-Bill