Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:10:12 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        ByteLock <bytelock@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network, Cable modem, Questions

ByteLock wrote:

> What i would like to do is give FreeBSD 1 static ip address and have it
> connect
> The nt machine, and 1 windows 98 machine to the internet. I only have one
> network
> card in the freebsd machine.. I would like to keep it that way,

	Bzzzztttt... while in theory it may be possible to do it with just one
nic, in practice the various issues are way too complex, and back when I
was trying to set it up myself I was never able to get any response from
anyone who did get it working. The universal response I received was,
"Just get another NIC," which turned out to be excellent advice.

> I would also like the windows machines to be able to see
> the freebsd
> machine on the network.... I.e. Telnet into if i want to ect..

	That shouldn't be a problem.

> I'm using 192.168.68.0 for my internal ip addressing. and my cable provider
> has issued 24.*.*.* for my 3 purchased ip addresses.
>
> So my NT Machine is using 192.168.68.1 and FreeBSD isn't setup yet
> as i'm not sure if i need to set it as 192.168.68.0 and then ALIAS 24.*.*.*
> or what..

> Also i'm sure i'll have to setup routes and stuff.. Argh its all so
> confusing where to start
> and what to do..

	Actually no, you don't have to set up routes. The following _should_
work, but your setup is a lot more complex than mine.

1. Arrange the FreeBSD machine and the two static IP'ed windows machines
on one hub, with the cable modem as the uplink. Set up all the normal
stuff on your freebsd machine, and make sure that all 3 machines can
talk to the world, and each other.

2. Start the setup process for nat on the freebsd box. Compile support
for your new nic into the kernel (if needed) along with support for
ipfirewall. Make sure that you include the ipfirewall divert option.
Make gateway_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf.local, along with the
natd_interface/enable/flags options as appropriate. You should also add
a line to your rc.conf.local to configure your new nic as the inside
interface. I would use 192.168.68.1 for _that_ interface, since you're
going to make it a gateway. About the only flag you should need for natd
is the -n flag to specify which interface to run on. Reboot.

3. Once the freebsd machine is back up and you've confirmed that
everything is running as it should be, plug the other hub into your
inside interface nic and start configuring the other windows machines.
You want to set them up with IP addresses on the same subnet, using
192.168.68.1 as their gateway, and either run named on your gateway
machine or put the IP of your ISP's nameserver in the windows config.
One additional step that I had to do to get it all working was to edit
the hosts file on the freebsd machine and the windows machines with
everyone's IP address and hostname. Without that info I could ping from
inside but that was about all. In windows the file is C:\Windows\HOSTS.
After you edit it your editor will try to rename it HOSTS.txt, which
doesn't help you, so watch out for that and change the name back if you
have to.

	That _should_ be all you need to do to get it to work. I really need to
write this up and stick it on my dhcp web page. If you have to do more
than I've mentioned here, please write me privately with the details and
I'll try to hammer this into something more elaborate.

--
"Stop it, I'm gettin' misty."

    - Mel Gibson as Porter, "Payback"