Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 14:49:09 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is BSD

shannon@widomaker.com said:
> I didn't know that SVR4 was a merge of SVR3.2 and SunOS 4.  I would
> think that SunOS 4's box should be pretty much a dead-end.

As I understand it, SVR4 was meant to be a merging of SVR3 and BSD 4.3.

AT&T got Sun to do the work, so I could easily believe that Sun used
their code base from SunOS 4 (which was their BSD 4.3 implementation).

In fact, I heard rumours that there were comments in the SVR4 code from
Sun that said things like "Why did we ever let AT&T talk us into doing
things this way..."

I think it's also interesting to note how long it took Sun to release
their SVR4 implementation after other companies did, which suggests to
me that they weren't particularly happy with what they'd done...

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319