Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 01:46:20 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Maciuszonek Artur <ummacius@cc.UManitoba.CA>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom Ceditcard Ethernet

Maciuszonek Artur wrote:

> My issue lies within the innability to connect to the internet. :( or even
> ping anyone from my machine.  I used /stand/sysinstall
> ->configure->networking->interfaces and then xe0 when I add the
> information about my domain name default gateway etc and the reboot I
> still can't acess the net or ping any machine  This is a clean istall
> where I have recompiled the kernel.  Also after the reboot when the card
> is probed it shows up on the screen and there is a single beep.....?.....

The IP address of an Ethernet pccard is configured upon insertion, so
you should define "pccard_ifconfig" in /etc/rc.conf. In fact, if
you used sysinstall to configure an IP address for the xe0 interface,
then an "ifconfig_xe0" entry should already exist in /etc/rc.conf.
Simply rename "ifconfig_xe0" to "pccard_ifconfig", insert your card,
and voilą ;-) [I am assuming that you are not using DHCP]

Of course, you also need pccard_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.

A final note: your Xircom card detects the medium to which it connects and
selects the appropriate speed; however, if you are making a direct connection
to the cablemodem using a cross-wire UTP cable, then the speed autoselection
may fail. In this case, you can use the "media" parameter of ifconfig(8)
for selecting 10baseT/UTP or 100baseTX/UTP, and then add it to the definition
of "pccard_ifconfig".

Cheers,
-- JMA
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **