Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:05:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@hookie.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, tpnelson@echidna.stu.cowan.edu.au
Cc:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dump/restore question.

if you are resizing the whole FreeBSD slice (aka the DOS partition),
then you would need to run an install disk to label the slice and
create the FreeBSD partitions.

I would use the installation diskettes for the OS that you have backed
up. Having 4.1 files installed and then installing 5.0 files could
leave old 4.1 files around.

You could use the "hidden" features of the install program to write
the disk label, the filesystem and boot blocks to the machine without
install the 4.1 files, and then run the fixit disk to perform the
restore. Possible, but not easy if you have done them before.

I would suggest you install the OS that you already backed up. then
before rebooting, either use the virtual console (F4, I believe), and:

	# cd to_the_appropriate_partition
	# cp /sbin/restore /tmp/restore  (if partition is /)
	# /[tmp|sbin]/restore -r
	# rm /tmp/restore 		 (if partition is /)

the restore can be done on top of the same OS files because the OS is
running from the installation disk, so the hard drive files are currently
inactive (you do not have to worry about busy executables, nor used
biraries, etc).