Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 15:39:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fast SCSI controller

> One thing no one has mentioned is that NFS on FreeBSD is pretty horrid.  On
> 2.1R I get lockups on the client quite a bit, in the server mode I've seen it
> hang quite frequently as well.  Perhaps in -current or -stable things are
> better?

Horrid in what way?

Slow writes?  You can turn on NFS write clustering and async I/O,
both violations of the NFS protocol specification (and the default
for System V and Linux systems, where the write is ack'ed before
it is performed, so if a crash happens before the write really
happens, any files that clients are writing to may be corrupt when
the server comes back up).

Other errors?  I am aware of problems in -current, but know of no
problems in the release code... maybe you could be more specific?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.