Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 15:22:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Adam W. Dace" <thekind@NETural.com>
To:        Maintenance user <maint@spike.fa.gau.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ircd & passwords

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Maintenance user wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed IRC 2.8.21 from the port collection. It works fine but it
> does not accept encrypted passwords. I copied its password from
> master.passwd then used /oper but irc returned the message "password is
> incorrect". ircd is linked with -lcrypt option.
> I would appreciate any help very much!!

The reason it bombs is because FreeBSD's crypt(), while nice, is not
completely compatible as a plugin for good ol' DES crypt().

I have ircd up and running successfully, and am in fact starting a
FreeBSD-based IRC network, just for kicks.

Feel free to drop by ftp.NETural.com:/pub/FreeBSD/ircd, and pick up my
ircd binaries, descrypt libs, et al.

Basically the solution is to compiled ircd/mkpasswd with -ldescrypt.

I also hacked the ircd sources to make some values a bit more sane...

| Adam W. Dace <thekind@NETural.com>  | NETural Communications, Inc.         |
|            Webmaster                | Paying too much for your Net access? |
|       http://www.NETural.com/       | NETural Voice: (312) 819-2231        |