Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 1996 10:41:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jmacd@cs.berkeley.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XDrawString

> >>[etc]
> >
> >I personally expect the Xlib to imply a cliprect on the data it sends
> >to the X server.[etc]
>
> If *someone* isn't clipping, then things is surely broke. Trouble is, when
> there is clipping the algorithm seems to go exponential if one end of the
> draw is in the window and the other is far away.

I guess it depends on whether you think that the most likely event
will be:

1)	Tiny bit of what is drawn is off screen

2)	Most of what is drawn is off screen

Case (1) would make you want to take the hit of drawing a small amount
of non-visible objects that get clipped by the server as a trade for
putting a clip region comparison in the inner loop.

Case (2) would make you want to take the hit of putting a clip region
comparison in the inner loop as a trade for draw a large amount of
non-visible objects that get clipped by the server.

I would think it would depend on whether you expected the programmer
using the system to be careful (case 1) or sloppy (case 2).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.