Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 2004 11:08:54 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        Alex Hoff <ahoff@sandvine.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: AACCLI feedback

Alex Hoff wrote:
> Recently I have been getting quite a few core dumps when trying to use the
> aaccli tool.
>
> When executing the following :
> open aac0
> controller firmware update ac220001.ufi
>
> the program cores.
> When trying the linux version using freebsd compatability code (on 5.2) the
> same command works just fine.

The FreeBSD aaccli was compiled before the 2200 was released and does
not have the modifications that are needed in order to flash these (and
later cards).  You'll need to use the Linux version.

> This command also causes aaccli to crash, but I have not yet tried it in the
> linux version.
> open aac0: container reconfigure /raid5=TRUE /partition_size=$disk_size 0
> $add_disks: exit
> where disk_size and add_disks are the appropriate values.

Does the operation start?  I've seen this too and I think it has
something to do with the monitoring task that is generated, but I
don't know for sure.  I no longer work for Adaptec so I can no
longer modify the code and release it.

> If any updates are available, that would be greatly appreciated.

Call up Adaptec tech support and tell them that you want an update.  If
enough people do this, it might make a difference.  In the mean time,
the linux version should work fine.

Scott