Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:11:41 -0500
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Named crashing

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> * Drew Sanford <lauasanf@bellsouth.net> [20010214 18:19]: writing on the subject 'Re: Named crashing'
> Drew>
> Drew> Just to add to the mix this happened to me two days ago on my
> Drew> 4.0-Release box - I've been meaning to upgrade it, but upgrading this
> Drew> particular box is a real pain.
>
> Why a real pain?
>
> Drew>
> Drew>
> Drew> Terry Rossi wrote:
> Drew>
> Drew> > Michael,
> Drew> >
> Drew> > I have been having the same problem with my bind installation
> Drew> > on both 3-5stable and now 4.2 release.
> Drew> >
> Drew> > The only change in my environment has been the addition of a
> Drew> > Windows 2000 domain and the use of dynamic updates into my unix
> Drew> > bind from the Domain controller on the Windows 2000 DNS.
> Drew> >
> Drew> > Let me know if you come up with anything.

Hmm, we have a similar problem with routed on our local machines.
Unfortunatly we are tied to the 4.0 kernel for now (ALTQ support+a pile
of kernel mods) so we just did this:

in rc.network, change:

        case ${router_enable} in
        [Yy][Ee][Ss])
                echo -n " ${router}";   ${router} ${router_flags}
                ;;
        esac

to:

        case ${router_enable} in
        [Yy][Ee][Ss])
                echo -n " ${router}"
                        ( while true ; do ${router} -d ${router_flags} ;
done )&
                ;;
        esac

Just be careful to give named the switch that prevents it from going
into the
background or you will forkbomb yourself on boot.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org