Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:21:00 +0000
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: large binary, why not strip ?

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 12:56:31PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >most of the programs installed from ports have large binary size on disk
> >
> >stripping em all reduces their size dramatically
> >
> >I cannot see the reason for not stripping them by default ?
>
> me too
> >
> >do I miss anything ?
>
> no.

I am confused why both of you are seeing "most" of the programs
installed this way.  Can you confirm that this is true and not just an
exaggeration?

As Matthew says, there are some ports that fail to strip their
binaries because of how they install files (using cp etc).  These are
bugs that should be reported to their maintainers on a case by case
basis.

Kris