Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:09:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/39536: FreeBSD default bootloader does not load many modern operating systems

>Number:         39536
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD default bootloader does not load many modern operating systems
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD Olduvai.netpro.centennialcollege.ca 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #1: We
d Jun 19 13:35:25 EDT 2002     root@Olduvai.netpro.centennialcollege.ca:/usr/src
/sys/compile/OLDUVAI  i386

	The FreeBSD booter is unable to detect and boot an operating system which is located in an extended partition.

In recent times, it has become possible to load an operating system from a logical drive in an extended MS-DOS partition, and operating systems which can do this include Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, Linux 2.2, 2.4, and others.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install multiple operating systems on a single drive; place either Windows 2000 or Linux within a logical drive in an extended partition.

Install FreeBSD and place the FreeBSD loader on the MBR.
>Fix:

Not yet known.