Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:30:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      lgfausak@august.net (Greg Fausak)
To:        julian@elischer.org, lgfausak@august.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BPF usage questions

Julian wrote>
>Greg Fausak wrote:
>>
>> FreeBSD Net Mail List:
>>
>>...deleted...
>> 1) Is it wise to use so many BPF devices?
>>
>> 2) Is there any way to increase the number of BPF devices beyond 255?
>>
>> and, finally, the real questions...
>>
>> 3) Is there some way I can listen on a single device and determine
>>    what real device a packet comes in on and...
>>
>> 4) Has anyone done something like this?  This is much like the
>>    dhcp helper command on a cisco router.  I'd like to be able to
>>    serve DHCP for thousands of 'devices'.
>
>I hate to sound like a broken record, but archie and I have been looking
>at using netgraph for this.

What is netgraph?

>Of course we have pretty full (approved by MCI) frame relay support in
>Netgraph already
>so all teh device driver needs to do is supply a simple netgraph
>interface, and let us do
>the frame relay demultiplexing. It is then very simple to slot in a
>netgraph node
>to filter out and redirect all DHCP stuff. We don;t support DHCP with
>our
>netgraph code at teh moment but it wouldn;t be hard, and as a kernel
>module it could
>easily handle thousands of dhcp clients with very littel system load.
>
>What software are you using for frame relay at the moment?

I'm using bridging software written by etinc.com.  It's called
bwmgr.   Very robust, I've been running 400 DSL customers for
about a month with no problems.  I'm sure I could load it
up with 800 customers if I had some way to handle the BPF/DHCP
problem.

My partner is Andy Fullford, he's from (around) Sydney...

G'day mate!

---greg