Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:36:27 +0200
From:      Marcin Dalecki <mdcki@gmx.net>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Steven Hartland <killing@barrysworld.com>
Subject:   Re: Missing system call in linux emulation

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 05:42:51PM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
>
>>Any one know how I can track down what function is missing and hence
>>look at fixing it?
>

> In the linux kernel source tree, look in arch/i386/kernel/entry.S.
> There you'll find all the syscall entry points. Currently they go
> all the way to 271. Also look at arch/alpha/kernel/entry.S...
>
> Then, in /sys/i386/linux look in syscalls.master.  There you'll
> see we only have syscalls up to 221. See also /sys/alpha/linux...
>
> One could:
> o  Add proper prototypes to syscalls.master of the 50 new syscalls
>    we don't know about,
> o  Declare all these syscalls as dummies (see linux_dummy.c) to begin
>    with,
> o  Really implement those syscalls that are used in practice.
>
> Syscall 252 is exit_group(2).

Most of them are of the sime kind of immature API as for
example the whole Linux kvect trash. Don't worry it's very unlikeley
they will ever be seriously used and it will be a long time still until
kernel 2.6 first will be released at all and second widely deployed.
I would vote for dealing with them case by case. Thus keeping to the
paramount principle of: "don't do interfaces on the heap".