Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:24:39 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "Command not found"

> Ethanol Yip wrote:
>                 During my first logon after re-installing the FreeBSD,
> I executed the command sysinstall in /stand but failed, with a message
> "command not found". Similarly, after my successful compilation of my
> C source, the same message appeared when I executed the file a.out or
> any executables created by ( cc -o executable source).
>
>                 In both cases, I can "see" the executables and list
> them by ls.
>
>                 Is there something wrong with the FreeBSD or my
> working environment?

The current directory is *not* part of the standard search paths and
unix in general doesn't search the current directory before trying the
search paths. This is unlike DOS for example. To run a binary that is
not in the search path, specify it's location. In case of sysinstall,
either run /stand/sysinstall or ./sysinstall if the current directory is
/stand.

HTH,

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl