Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 15:09:17 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
To:        Lord Raiden <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ok, what did I break this time??

>> (09.02.2002 @ 1502 PST): Lord Raiden said, in 1.0K: <<
> >second of all, are you getting errors when sending mail TO the box, or
> >THROUGH the box?
>
>         Both.  But not from the box.  So if I'm logged in locally, I can
> send fine, same if I telnet to the IP of the machine and localhost when
> sending mail from that machine.  Anything outside just outright gets
> blocked.

what kind of bounce message do you get when sending mail to, say,
root@the.b0rked.box? if sending mail TO the machine gives you a relaying
denied error, then sendmail can't figure out its hostname.

>         Just changed the version number for sendmail.cf because of a
> problem with aliases.  But this existed evidently before I worked with the
> aliases, since this was reported to me a while back.  I just haven't had
> time to get around to fixing it since it's a low use server.

i'm a bit mystified as to what you fixed by changing the .cf version
number... well, if your domain name is mydomain.com, you can try adding:
Dj$w.mydomain.com
to your sendmail.cf file.

other than that: any host to which you agree to relay should be listed
in /etc/mail/relay-domains. if you can't send mail TO the machine, then
you have a whole new set of problems. i'm curious as to the bounce
message you're getting when sending a letter TO the box.

-Adam

--
"Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw."
        -Lilo, "Lilo & Stitch"