Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 17:47:33 -0500
From:      John Clark <jrclark@felix.iupui.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   getty bug?

Hello,

I seem to have isolated a problem with getty in FreeBSD 2.1.  I am curious
to know if anyone else is experiencing similar problems, or if someone can
instruct me as to what I am doing wrong.

To modify the default behavior of many of the tty attributes _before_ login,
the /etc/gettytab can be modified.  Presumably, er=X should set the capital
"X" as the delete character.  It does not.  The im message is correct every
time, so I know this is the proper entry in the gettytab file to modify.

This is what I have noticed:  the first two consoles always default to "^H"
as the erase key (pressing 'delete' generates ^?), thereafter every tty
defaults to "?" as the erase key (pressing 'backspace' generates ^H).

Am I noticing the default behavior of another config file?

Remember, I am talking about the tty behavior _before_ login -- neither tset
nor stty has executed yet.

Thanks,

John Clark
[jrclark@indy.net]