Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 09:21:52 -0500
From:      "Geocrawler.com" <archiver@db.geocrawler.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI 53C876 poor?

This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Martin Dvorak" <mdvorak@ninell.cz>
Be sure to reply to that address.

Hi all,

I've got a question regarding performance of SMP FreeBSD system. I've got an Intel N440BX machine with two 400Mhz Pentium II processors and dual Symbios SCSI controller (53C876) running FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE. The machine is serving as an Internet server (not workstation). I had RedHat installed on this machine, but because of machine purpose, stability and inclination to FreeBSD, I recently moved to FreeBSD.

Immediately after the installation of FreeBSD I noticed that the system is much more slower than it was with RedHat. So I tried to optimize the kernel, I tried to play with different configuration parameters etc. but nothing... While on RedHat I was copying large files in speed around 20MB/sec, now I am glad if I get to 5MB/sec. Also, untarring 1.5 MB file takes about 40sec which is not what anyone could expect mentioned hardware.

Is there something I could do to speed up the system? I can send my kernel config file if anyone is so kind to give me some advice. Or is it because of slow SMP implementation in FreeBSD? Or are the SCSI drivers for SymBIOS 53C876 controller so much slower the RedHats' (I tried it with or without CAM, both were the same).

Thanks very much for any advice or opinion.

Martin

Geocrawler.com - The Knowledge Archive