Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 01:44:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        Jan A Knepper <Jan@jak.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Off-line News access via UUCP.

> here an other dombo question:
>
> Could I setup a news system via offline UUCP?
> I would like FreeBSD to download the messages from certain news groups
> and have them locally ready. Then local user could look at them and give
> there response. If there is any response these could be send to the news
> group so they will be visible for the rest of the world.
>
> Is there such a feature available? Where would I look?

This may or may not work:

We are looking into an application called DNews which allows the retreival
of newsgroups on demand.  When a user requests a newsgroup, it checks to
see if it has it stored locally from the last time it was requested, gets
the newsgroup if not, and updates the newsgroups if it already has most of
it.  If you don't have a huge base of users reading news like us, where it
is cost-ineffective for us to have a full newsfeed, it is a good
inbetween.  Our line is faster than a modem, so the newsgroups will come
down faster than the user's modem can download it, so they see no apparent
slowdown.  It cuts down on the bandwith of a full newsfeed, and uses a
fraction of the hard drive space as it only gets the groups that are
requested, plus you can specify how large a slice of drive it uses so it
doesn;t overflow to the rest of the disk and crowd out other important
functions.

-Gary Margiotta
TBE Internet Services
http://www.tbe.net